Thursday, April 9, 2009

Picky Picky Bunnies.

Sage had 'yucky tail' again this morning. The thing is, I know exactly what's causing it - she's not eating enough hay. Ever since Peter came to visit and brought his awesome fresh Washington state hay.. my two have become even pickier when it comes to their hay. I bought them a locally grown bale, they don't even think it's good enough to poop on. I bought them a bag of Timothy from Petcetera, they barely think it's good enough to poop on. Grumbling, I decided to drive out to Petsmart in Abbotsford, a mere 40 minute drive away. Their hay selection is pretty damn good for a commercial pet store chain.

Sure enough they had some lovely fresh looking and smelling Kaytee Timothy hay. It was green, it wasn't mushed up, and it smelt good. That's enough, right? So I drive aaaaall the way home where I'm greeted at the door of the bunny room with dual looks of 'Oh yeah? What do YOU want?"

They looked comfy. Sage was flomped on her side, half of her belly exposed. In a doggie this would be screaming 'rub me!' In a cat it would be saying 'Touch my belly at your own peril, human. I have claws and you bleed.' In a rabbit, well, it depends on the mood swing of Sage and it's impossible to tell which way she's leaning before you try to touch. Fortunately for my temptation limit today, Scout was on her side, using Sage for a pillow. It's not the first time I've seen this, but it's pretty rare. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen it. I figured Scout's tummy isn't too enthusiastic with her either.

So I put down a couple handfuls of hay and they both sort of roll to their feet and come over to sniff and investigate. Scout immediately starts gnawing on the hay - happy little bunny mouth filling unhappy bunny tummy. Sage sniffs at it, moves it around with her nose a bit and gives me a look of 'Is this the best you can do?' and then leans forward and grudgingly takes a bite of the hay. 'Oh, well, if it'll make you happy. Fine, I'll eat it. But really, this is subpar.'

My bunnies - they're so good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment