Friday, April 4, 2014

[Gerbil Stories] Talking Gerbil

 
There's a gerbil sitting in his cage watching me as I read. The story has a bunny in it, it has to be good, right? (Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's "Song of Socery" for those who are interested)
 
"Cheep" goes the gerbil. I don't pay him much mind.
 
"Cheep, Cheep" says the gerbil. I look up.
 
He stands up on his hind paws and says "Cheep, Cheep." again.
 
I say "Cheep" back to him. Okay, I mangled the happy gerbil chirp. I got a look of 'Huh?' So I tried again "Cheep." No, not much improvement. "Cheep!" I said a third time and this time got whisker wiggles.
 
"Cheep!" says the gerbil.
 
"Cheep!" says the human.
 
"Cheep, cheep!" says the gerbil.
 
"Cheep, cheep," says the human.
 
"Cheep, cheep, cheep!" says the gerbil.
 
"Cheep, cheep, cheep!" says the human.
 
There's silence as he looks around. I think we've just run out of gerbil ability to use progressive math. He grooms his whiskers, he seems to be thinking about it, and then "Cheep!" before disappearing into one of his hideys.
 
"Cheep." I say. I then get off my duff and check his water and food, he has plenty of both, he has, however, eaten all the sunflower seeds out of the mix.
 
I, being the stern, proper, pet mom, didn't give him more sunflower seeds. I gave him a few pumpkin seeds instead.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha,you are the perfect pet mom Lorna,its good to hear Freddy is still cheeping,Speedy said he might pop round this evening to see him,xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete